19 January 2011

Weekly Top Five - 19.Jan.11

In  High Fidelity, the characters compare their top fives in a variety of categories. Being big fans of both the film and novel, we here at the What bring you our Weekly Top Five, a feature focused on five fantastic things that you should become familiar with.

Cereals
I absolutely adore food. Yet even as my palate evolves and I start enjoying more exotic fare, one thing remains true: I love cereal. It does not matter at which meal, I always enjoy a nice bowl of cereal. I am, however, picky. My distaste for soggy cereal is so great that I pour the milk into the bowl first, and sprinkle a small amount of cereal into it at a time to avoid sogginess. Genius, I know. So, without any further delay, here are my top five favorite cereals.

5. Rice Krispies - A simple but tasty enough cereal to get the job done. Rice Krispies are one of the few cereals in which I pour the cereal first. For whatever reason, I don't mind very much if the Krispies get a tad mushy. A major plus to getting Rice Krispies is the huge boxes it can be bought in, therefore making it last a bit longer.

4. Corn Pops - I had forgotten how tasty Pops are until recently. I picked up a box because it boasted having added fiber and was pleased to find that the cereal is still delicious. As my normal bowl of cereal contains twice their suggested serving size, a breakfast of Corn Pops gives me 22% of my daily fiber. This is definitely one of the tastier ways to up your fiber intake.


3. Cocoa Pebbles - Chocolate and breakfast are two of my favorite things, so no surprise here. While Cocoa Pebbles are quite good, there are two problems. One, it is rare to find it in a decent-sized box. Two, it really does not hold one's appetite for long. But I will still opt for some Pebbles, be they Cocoa or Fruity, every once and awhile.

2. Cocoa Krispies - Often I wonder if there are words to describe how much I enjoy Cocoa Krispies. I would estimate that I have this for breakfast at least 250 days out of a year. Unfortunately, it is plagued by the same problems as Cocoa Pebbles, but at least these boxes tend to be a size up from the Pebbles, so they last ever-so-slightly longer.

1. King Vitaman - King Vitaman is the best cereal in the world for a number of reasons. One, it is often very cheap. Two, it contains the same amount of calories in one and a half cups of cereal that the others have in one or three-fourths of a cup. Three, if you find that you like it, the majority of the people you live with usually will not, so you do not have to share. The positive qualities of this less-sugary cousin of Cap'n Crunch are limitless. One issue I have is availability. I have found it on the shelves of stores in rural areas, the Deep South, and very low-income neighborhoods. Still, it is good enough to warrant a trip for a couple of boxes. I have even ordered it online. It's that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!