25 May 2011

Pickelodeon: 25 Burgers

Welcome to Pickelodeon, a little feature where we review all that is reviewable in the world. Pickelodeon is your one stop shop for the inside scoop on the best restaurants, bars, movies, music, events, and anything else you want to hear someone else's opinion on before you try it. Drop us a line in the comment box for any suggestions on what we should review next!

25 Burgers


Way back in April of 2010, the first article written exclusively for the What was about where to find the best burger in Philly. While we did discus some pretty tasty burgers in that piece, it was not until Tuesday, May 24, 2011 that I had the best burger ever. I believe that when you venture to the place in which I experienced burger nirvana that you too will remember the day well. In fact, you may be moved to say something along these lines:
“Just a Burger? Just a burger. Robin, it’s so much more than “just a burger”. I mean…that first bite—oh what heaven that first bite is! The bun like a sesame freckled breast of an angel resting gently on the ketchup and mustard below—flavors mingling in a seductive pas-de-deux And then…a pickle…the most playful little pickle! Then a slice of tomato, a leaf of lettuce and a…a patty of ground beef so exquisite; swirling in your mouth breaking apart and combining again in a fugue of sweets and savor so delightful. This is no mere sandwich of grilled meat and toasted bread, Robin: this is God…speaking to us in food.”  -Marshall on How I Met Your Mother



Before we get to the juicy meat of my burger story, let's learn a little bit about the burger joint itself. 25 Burgers opened in North Jersey in 2009, and by the end of 2011 will have seven locations throughout the Garden State. The idea behind this new chain is to provide fresh, made-to-order gourmet burgers in a clean and friendly environment. This is more than just a corporate mission statement, it is a promise. After enjoying a meal at 25 Burgers you can easily say that their mission is accomplished. The crew at 25 Burgers was pleasant, friendly, and helpful. The place itself was spotless and provided the ideal atmosphere for your burger-devouring enjoyment. Think Nifty Fifty's meets Five Guys, but tastier (and I love Nifty Fifty's and Five Guys).

The burgers themselves were off the charts. Although, as implied in the name, there are 25 delectable options on the menu, my eyes stopped at #2. I enjoyed a Bullseye BBQ Burger topped with crispy onion straws, bacon, cheddar, lettuce, tomato and barbecue sauce on a fresh baked Miami onion bun. The burger was so tasty that I had to be reminded that I had ordered fries. The fries. Oh, the fries. I don't know what I did to deserve such good fries, but I am glad I did it. While the fries can stand alone, I felt that they would taste good with some barbecue sauce. As I started my walk to the counter, the staff immediately addressed me and by the time I reached the counter, had produced a side of barbecue sauce for me. Is there anything more you could ask for in life than BBQ sauce on demand?

As indicated by the name of the joint, there are 24 other options to try on your visit to 25 Burgers. When you peruse their menu, you will see burgers ranging from spicy options like the Six-Alarm and El Paso Burgers to the more offbeat offerings like Pete's Crab Burger and the Athens Veggie Burger. With 25 options, there truly is something for everyone. Check out their site for the location nearest to you, but for my Philly readers, head about 20 minutes into South Jersey to their Woodbury location on Route 45. Trust me, it is more than worth it to make the quick trip over the bridge. So get over to 25 Burgers, find your flavor, chow down on fries, and wash it all down with a Stewart's soda or frosty milkshake. You can thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!