While I may not have been the biggest fan of living in the South, there were certainly plenty of positives. One such positive was the food. During my time in South Carolina, I went out of my way to have as much barbecue as possible. On a trip to Charleston, I ordered some biscuits to accompany my pulled pork at Jim and Nick's Barbecue. Usually in a situation like this, you end up with corn bread, but this time, it was different. This time, it was a basket of warm, tasty, cheesy biscuits. Since I enjoy making my own pulled pork at home, I decided to take a crack at making these biscuits to accompany the tasty BBQ.
1.5 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
1.5 tsp of baking powder
4 tbsp of butter
3/4 cup of milk
1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 and grease a muffin pan.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter and beat the egg in a separate bowl.
- Mix the milk and vanilla extract with the egg and butter.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix them together (avoid overmixing).
- Fold in the cheddar cheese.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they look as scrumptious as the photo above.
If you don't know how to make pulled pork, here is a very simple way to get'er done: Get a pork roast from the supermarket, drop it in the crockpot and dump a bottle of BBQ sauce on it. Let it cook on high for four hours, shred it using two forks and serve on sandwich buns (not hamburger rolls). I highly recommend the Memphis Original or Carolina Sweet sauces from Sticky Fingers, if they are sold in your area.